The Big Mosaic

We were very lucky to have Mrs Blackborow visit us this week to help us make clay tiles which will form part of a whole school mosaic.  This is to celebrate the 2022 Big Draw Festival theme, ‘Come Back to Colour’, a theme to help us rediscover and find joy in our world after what has been a challenging few years.

Mrs Blackborow encouraged us to think about all the colourful and beautiful things that there are in the world and try to capture these in the design of our tile.  From Jamaican beaches, to English gardens, from British wildlife to jungle animals, the boys had some fantastic ideas.  We learned different techniques for creating our designs in clay, including scoring clay to create pattern and texture, as well as using ‘slip’ to attach pieces of clay to the tile.

We’re looking forward to seeing what our tiles look like once they have been fired.  Once this is done, then we can glaze them.

Thank you to Mrs Blackborow for a really fun afternoon!

2 thoughts on “The Big Mosaic

1. I liked making my tile because it was fun making the shape of the rainbow and also learning how to do texture. I wish we can do it again when we are in year 3. 😀😃😀😃👍😍😎😁